Recognition of three local century farms was among the highlights of the annual University of Missouri Extension Council Lincoln County banquet held on Jan. 28. The Century Farm program recognizes farms with continuous family ownership for 100 years or more.
The Havlik farm can be traced back much further than the Havlik name. The 170-acre farm dates back well into the 1800s. For the purpose of the Century Farm designation, the family chose to begin around 1890 with the union of Michael E. Flynn to Hattie Mudd. From this union, the farm was passed down to their daughter, Catherine Flynn, who married John (JT) Havlik. Catherine and JT passed the farm to Norman and Mary Lou (Graver) Havlik, with their names remaining on the title today.
The farm has changed a lot over the years, with the Havliks making many improvements. The house that Norman and Mary Lou called home was built in 1953. The house that Norman grew up in was constructed in the 1890’s. Due to its age and much decay, the 1890’s house was demolished in the 1990’s, making room for an equipment shed and additional hay shed. Other improvements around the farm continue to this day, with updated fencing and facilities for cattle being built almost annually. The farm continues to have around 80 tillable acres with the remaining land used for cattle production, in either hay or pasture. The family hopes to enjoy the farm and keep improving it well into the future.
Norton Family Farm,
On Feb. 28, 1914, brothers Paul and Gus Norton Junior bought a 180-acre farm from Mathias and Minnie Haines for $11,000. On March 1, 1928, Paul sold his half of the acreage to Gus for $5,000.
Gus married Margaret Kallash May 10, 1928. Gus loved to hunt, together they would fish, garden and keep bees. Margaret helped deliver and care for most of the babies around Millwood as the closest hospital was in St. Charles. One of those babies was her nephew, Daniel S. Norton, born eight weeks premature. For six weeks, Margaret kept Danny and his mother, Nellie (Robert Norton) at her home taking Nellie’s breast milk and feeding Danny via a tube every two hours. Danny, three pounds, slept in a shoebox on the wood stove’s oven door to keep him alive. Once, upon removing the feeding tube, Danny lost vitals, but Nellie insisted Margaret continue working to bring him back, and she did!
Gus and Margaret married late in life, therefore not bearing children. Margaret’s sister knew of two little girls needing a home. The Nortons brought Pattie and Sally Harrington home, eventually adopting Sally. Ironically, the Nortons already had a mare named Patsy and colt, named Sally. Sally grew to marry Danny, who Margaret saved. God works in mysterious ways!
Gus and Margaret willed the land to Danny and Sally, who raised six sons, Dannie Jr., Dennis, Samuel, Douglas, Christopher and Jerry, on the property. Dan and Sally’s last home in on the south side with their youngest now residing on the original homestead.
Sally recalls the old farm consisting of a scale shed, barn and dynamite shed. A pitcher pump brought up water from two wells and a cistern for water at the house. When Sally was a teen, the pump house and electricity were added. Margaret previously recalled as soon as farmers put up the electrical
poles, they bought a refrigerator, but used it for storage for five years before electric lines were installed to the farm. When the family of Daniela and Sally Norton get together, 50-plus members of the immediate family are hosted on Norton Road. Now consisting of 122.6 acres, the farm is owned by the Norton Family Estate Trust.
James D. and Annie Whiteside Teague purchased the original 357-acre farm in December of 1918 from W. G. White. James and Annie had 11 children, raising nine. These included Grace’s mother, Elsie Teague. They raised crops and livestock on the farm.
After returning from World War II, Fred Street Jr. began farming in 1946. Fred married Grace M. Teague Sept. 1, 1950. Fred began raising hogs in 1946 with his first large mixed hogs in 1950.
Fred and Grace purchased the farm in March of 1953 from Grandmother Annie Whiteside Teague. The Street family raises corn, soybeans, wheat, hay, hogs and a small cow-calf herd. Fred and Grace were blessed with two sons; Bob and wife Carol of Whiteside and Don and wife Lisa of Memphis Tennessee.
At the time of the 1953 purchase, there were only two buildings on the farm: a small feed shed and a hay shed. Neither were in very good condition. The farm on which Fred and Grace lived was sold, meaning they had to move. A house was built on the farm in 1953. After the house was completed, Fred began building other necessary buildings and fences. They raised their boys and lived in that house until 1976 when a new home was constructed. The 1953 home was purchased and moved by Roland Akers. He and his wife May still live in that house today.
There is a large pond on the farm with a history of use for several baptisms. When Mason Street was baptized in August of 2015, he chose to be baptized in that pond, the same pond both of his great-great grandparents and his great grandparents (Fred and Grace) were baptized in.
Many additional tracts of land have been purchased over the years. Today, the farm consists of 981 acres. Bob Street (son of Fred and Grace) operates the farm today with the help of his sons: Kevin, Dan and grandson Mason. Dan and Mason cares for the small herd of cows and calve. They also bale the hay.
Receiving the Missouri Century Farm designation was very important to Fred. Before his death in 2014, Fred reminded Grace and Bob several times not to forget to apply for this designation in 2018.
Also at the banquet, locals Margaret Momphard and Ramona Irvine were given the Extension Leaders Honor Roll Award.
Momphard has been involved with the Extension Center for many years. She was an active 4-H member in Warren County and has been a volunteer for the Lincoln County 4-H program for 13 years, Margaret and her husband Doug have 4 children that have been active in 4-H. Their oldest daughter, Chloe was the 2018 Lincoln County Fair queen. Ramona Irvine has been an FCE member for 47 years, 34 years in Colorado and 13 years in Missouri.
Among her accomplishments, while in Colorado Irvine was the Colorado State Homemaker in 1973, the first young homemaker to host a state meeting at Colorado State in 1982 and served as a FCE officer at the local, district and state level, serving as the Colorado State Secretary for three years. She is an Honorary Life Member in Colorado. Ramona has two daughters, one in Colorado and one in Missouri as well as two granddaughters in Missouri, with family accompanying her at the Jan. 28 ceremony.