On Monday, in a packed, fifth-floor courtroom in the St. Charles County Courthouse, Pamela Hupp was sentenced for the murder of Louis Gumpenberger in 2016.

For the Class A Felony Murder in the First Degree charge, Hupp received life in prison without the chance of parole, unless by an act of the governor and for the second charge, Felony Armed Criminal Action, she received a 30 year sentence.

The two sentences will run concurrently.

The sentencing hearing was a short one, and other than an emotional statement from Gumpenberger’s sister, no parties, including Hupp had anything to say.

“This has been a long time coming,” St. Charles Prosecuting Attorney, Tim Lohmar, said on how it felt to inch toward closure on this case.

Lohmar said that this might have been one of the strangest cases he’d ever worked.

“This was something that could come out of a Hollywood movie script, and I don’t say that lightly. The tragedy here is that Mr. Gumpenberger lost his life. The great lengths she [Hupp] went to cover her crime…it’s hard to imagine a human could be so evil,” Lohmar said.

Throughout the proceedings of the case, Hupp has been consistent with her demeanor often laughing and offering wry smiles in the courtroom, and Lohmar said that it’s a matter of Hupp wanting everyone to believe that she is still in control.

“She lost control and she’s never going to have control again,” Lohmar said.

On whether this really provided closure for the family members of Gumpenberger, Lohmar said, “Every bit of air she will breathe for the rest of her life will be from the inside of a prison cell. That’s got to give some satisfaction to those who may have been victimized by her.”

The day Hupp entered her Alford plea in St. Charles County, Lincoln County Prosecutor Mike Wood decided to re-open the unsolved Betsy Faria murder case – in which Hupp was a central figure. Betsy Faria was stabbed more than 55 times at her Troy home in the evening of Dec. 27, 2011. Russ Faria, Betsy’s husband, had been found guilty of that crime in 2013, but later won a retrial to be acquitted. 

Although she was never charged as a suspect in that murder, Hupp was the last person to have seen Betsy Faria alive, and was also the sole beneficiary of Betsy’s $150,000 life insurance policy – and she’d become the beneficiary only a few days before the murder.

Because that re-opened investigation is still in its early stages and is ongoing, little information is to be had about it at this time.

“There isn’t really much we can say because it is an active, open and ongoing investigation. But we are working on it and it has our attention for sure,” Alex Salsman of the Prosecutor’s Office said. 

To read more about the decision to re-open the case, click HERE.  

Recommended for you