Markell Lawrence

Markell Lawrence

UPDATE: 3:20 p.m.

The suspect in Monday's high-speed chase through several counties has been identified as Markell L. Lawrence, 17, of St. Louis City.

Lawrence has been charged with one count of second-degree assault on a special victim for swerving toward a Troy police officer to avoid arrest, and is being held on a $50,000 cash-only bond.

Lawrence is still facing additional charges in at least five other jurisdictions.

A man is in custody at the Lincoln County Jail after a high-speed chase that sped through three counties on Monday.

At around noon, Troy Police Department officers began a pursuit with a vehicle driving southbound on U.S. Highway 61 near Highway K. Missouri State Highway Patrol ceased its pursuit of the vehicle near the construction site on U.S. 61 at the Cuivre River.

Troy officers picked up the pursuit after attempting to stop the vehicle, but were unsuccessful as the vehicle picked up speed. According to police, an officer attempted to deploy spike strips along the highway at South Lincoln Drive, but was thwarted when the driver of the vehicle drove toward the officer.

The pursuit then continued southbound on U.S. 61 to eastbound Interstate 70. Highway Patrol rejoined the pursuit, along with officers from the O'Fallon and St. Peters Police Departments.

Spike strips were successfully deployed near the Missouri Highway 79 overpass, slowing the vehicle down. The suspect crashed his vehicle near the Mid Rivers Mall Drive exit, and fled on foot.

Troy Police said the suspect then stole a delivery van from a local Costco near where he crashed his vehicle. St. Charles County Sheriff's Department deputies then joined St. Peters in the chase with the stolen van.

The pursuit would go into St. Louis County and St. Louis City, where the suspect struck a car at Kingshighway and Bircher Boulevard. The chase finally ended in Floridell Hills near Jennings Station Road and West Florissant Boulevard around 1 p.m., when the suspect crashed into another parked van before fleeing on foot.

The suspect was apprehended shortly after. He was transported to the Lincoln County Jail, and is facing charges from the county - and at least four other jurisdictions.

No injuries were reported.