Recognition of two Missouri Century Farms was among the highlights of the annual University of Missouri Extension Council Lincoln County banquet in late January. The Century Farm program Quigley Farm.
The following is an outline and history of Lincoln County’s latest Century Farms.
According to the abstract, land first purchased on June 27, 1840 by James and Barbara Richards sold in 1849 to Silas and Amanda Reddish who built a two-story house between 1885 and-1889. After their passing, the Reddish heirs sold the property to Gonza Mudd, the brother of Anna Laura (Mudd) Quigley, on May 18, 1918. Gonza Mudd sold 160 acres to his sister and brother-in-law, Charles and Anna Laura (Mudd) Quigley on March 1, 1919. The property is located on what is now Reddish School Road at Silex. Charles and Anna Laura Quigley are the grandparents of the current owners.
In 1905, Charles Quigley married Anna Laura Mudd, living on Charles’ home place on Quarry road (The Eddie Kohl place) where three children were born, Marie (Quigley) Duello, Thelma (Quigley) Pope Murray and Lowell Quigley.
One of Lowell’s first memories was his father allowing him to drive the team of horses as they were moving their things to the new place. Later he realized that they had made so many trips back and forth that the horses knew their way and could go on their own. He had just been holding the reins. He was three about to turn four at the time. Marie said that one of the reasons her father sold the farm on Quarry Rd was that the closest school was in the Davis area several miles away. Charlie valued education and was happy to have the one room school, Reddish School, at the end of the lane in front of their new home. Lowell attended school there through the 8th grade. One of his jobs was to go to the school early and start the fire to warm the schoolroom. After high school, he worked several jobs returning to the farm each year to put in the crop.
Lowell met Miss Dean Ringhausen from Elsberry in July of 1938. They married on November 8, 1941. Just a month after they were married Pearl Harbor was attacked and our nation went to war. Since Lowell farmed, he received a farm deferment.
After Charlie and Laura passed away, Lowell and Dean bought the home place where they raised three children, Marcella (Quigley) Pollman, David Quigley, and Ann (Quigley) Owen. Lowell passed away in March of 1976, Dean in March of 2008. The farm divided into 3 parcels of 53.34 acres each. David and his wife Linda (Roberts) Quigley now reside in the farmhouse built by the Reddish family over 100 years ago.
Ernest V Shaw Farm
The Ernest V. Shaw family is proud to be a Lincoln County Missouri Century Farm.
In January 1919, Ernest and Leola Shaw purchased 160 acres from Edward H Casner near Hawk Point. When they bought this farm, they were farming with horses. There was an older home on the farm, where they continued to live. In 1936, they moved their family into the summer kitchen on the farm to build a new home, being one of the first homes in the area to have electricity and running water, no bathroom though. Dug by hand and horse team the home included a basement.
The depression years were difficult for most farmers in America, but with hard work and many prayers, Ernest and Leola held on to the farm. For 54 years, their lives revolved around family, church, neighbors and the farm. They had six children: Henry August, Richard Leroy, Manuel Ernest, Juanita Ruth, Lowell Edward and Norman Eugene.
Ernest Shaw was what people called an “Honest Missouri Farmer”. At age 79, Ernest was still farming, still working the field and still raising livestock. On the evening of December 26, 1969, he went to the livestock lot to feed hogs. He had a heart attack and there he died a farmer to the end.
On this farm, the family raised hogs and cattle, with row crops of corn, beans and wheat, and hay. The sons, Lowell and Norman, continued farming the “home place” together until 1976 when Lowell and Elizabeth Shaw purchased the farm. The couple had three children Linda (Shaw) Seeger, Sharon (Shaw) Hasekamp and Gary Shaw. Grandchildren are Lisa Seeger Suddarth and Darren Seeger, Scott, Mark and Jodi Hasekamp and Brad and Diana Shaw. One of the grandchildren continues to live on the farm.
Shaw descendants have been working this farm since the original purchase in 1919. Today, the grandson of Lowell and Elizabeth Shaw, the great-grandson of Ernest V. Shaw, farms the land. The summer of 2019 great-great grandsons of Ernest baled hay and shelled corn on the farm.
The legacy continues on the Ernest V. Shaw farm in Hawk Point, Missouri.
For information on the University of Missouri Extension Century Farm program, contact the Lincoln County Extension Center at 636-528-4613.